Subscribe to The Adaptive Zone Podcast…
This episode provides a starting point for developing a hydration strategy for long-distance runners. It covers the importance of hydration and electrolyte replenishment, as well as guidelines for fluid and sodium replacement.
The episode emphasizes the average runner’s needs and offers recommendations for electrolyte products. It also encourages customization and further optimization of the hydration strategy.
- Hydration is crucial for long-distance runners, and a basic strategy is necessary.
- The average runner loses about one liter of fluid per hour and should aim to replace about half of it.
- Sodium is the most important electrolyte to replenish, with an average of 1000 milligrams per liter of sweat.
- Electrolyte products with higher sodium concentrations, such as LMNT and Precision Fuel and Hydration, are recommended.
- Customization and experimentation are key to finding the optimal hydration strategy.
- Further optimization and personalized guidance can be obtained by working with experts.
- 00:00 Introduction: The Importance of Hydration for Runners
- 02:06 Fluid Losses and Replenishment
- 03:23 Replacing Fluid Losses
- 04:59 Electrolyte Replenishment
- 09:18 Choosing Electrolyte Products
- 12:04 Customizing Hydration Strategy
- 13:25 Next Steps: Getting More Sophisticated
- 14:32 Conclusion and Invitation