Subscribe to The Adaptive Zone Podcast…
Shoulder pain with swimming is often referred to as Swimmer’s Shoulder. It’s a fairly common problem among swimmers and even some triathletes. So what is Swimmer’s Shoulder? Well, it’s kind of an “umbrella” term for a bunch of different shoulder conditions that may cause pain with swimming. One person with Swimmer’s Shoulder could have a painful rotator cuff tear, whereas another may have subacromial bursitis. Many swimmers with shoulder pain are diagnosed with shoulder impingement, so what the hell is that!?
My guest today will be helping us unpack this complicated topic. Jo Gibson is a Clinical Physiotherapy Specialist at the Liverpool Upper Limb Unit based at the Royal Liverpool Hospital in the UK. She is an associate lecturer at the University of Liverpool (where I did my Physio training back in the day) and lectures internationally on the subject of shoulder rehabilitation. Jo is also the Squad Physiotherapist for the Great Britain Endurance riding Team and provides consultation to many elite sports teams regarding the management of difficult shoulder pain cases. Jo co-founded the International Congress of Shoulder and Elbow Therapists and has served as Vice president and Chair of the education committee on the EUSSER board (European Society of Shoulder & Elbow Rehabilitation).
I could go on listing Jo’s achievements for quite some time! However, most importantly Jo has a gift for understanding the whole picture when it comes to her clinical work. Fortunately for us, Jo is also a superb teacher, so get ready to learn a ton about shoulder pain from swimming.
Follow Jo Gibson
Cool stuff mentioned in the show
- Jo’s Clinical Edge Podcasts: Shoulder pain in swimmers & overhead athletes
- Jo’s weekly Facebook Live Broadcasts on Facebook or YouTube
- Jo’ Online Course: Shoulder: Steps to Success online course
Discussed in the show: Swimmer’s Shoulder…
- Swimmer’s Shoulder – What is is?
- Swimming Training Load Modification
- Should you rest or keep swimming?
- How to warm up for swimming
- Types of Rotator Cuff Tear
- Rotator Cuff Tear – Do I need Surgery?
- Shoulder Impingement – What’s that all about?