Subscribe to The Adaptive Zone Podcast…
Do you suffer from cramps? Do you perform poorly when running in the heat? Ever experienced a kind of malaise that leaves you unable to hold your pace? Have you ever dropped out of a race or ended up in the medical tent? Do you come home from runs drenched in sweat? Do you find salt stains on your running gear?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, you may need to learn more about how to hydrate for running. Well, you’re in luck! Today’s episode is all about hydration. My guest today is an expert on this topic. Andy Blow is a Sports Scientist and the founder of Precision Fuel & Hydration.
Andy was formerly an elite-level triathlete who can count a couple of top-10 IRONMAN finishes and an Xterra Age-Group World title to his name. During his racing career, he discovered how personalizing your carbohydrate, electrolyte and fluid intake can make a huge difference to performance. This led to him setting up Precision Fuel and Hydration, a company that specializes in helping athletes nail their fueling and hydration strategies for training and competing.
Andy has a BSc (Hons) degree in Sport and Exercise Science from the University of Bath, UK. He currently lives in Christchurch, Dorset, in the UK with his wife Lucy and their 2 young children Bobby and Bethany.
Precision Fuel and Hydration have kindly offered listeners of The Adaptive Zone podcast a 15% discount off their first purchase. The discount code comes at 00:02:25 in the show but if you missed it just drop the Precision Fuel & Hydration team an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to let them know you heard about them through the Adaptive Zone podcast and they’ll be happy to help you out.
Hydrate for Running
Click to jump to that part of the video…
- 00:00 Introduction
- 00:02:25 Discount Code
- 00:06:45 What problems does a suboptimal hydration strategy cause?
- 00:22:50 How much fluid am I losing in my sweat?
- 00:36:27 How much sodium am I losing in my sweat?
- 00:39:18 How much should I drink when I run?
- 00:47:38 Can we get our carbs and sodium in the same drink?
- 00:53:21 Should I drink in sips or big gulps on my runs?
- 00:57:17 What causes hyponatremia in runners?
Discussed in the show
- How to measure your sweat rate blog and the Precision Hydration Sweat Loss Calculator Spreadsheet
- Mat’s Precision Hydration Spreadsheet
Other Podcast Episodes with Andy
- Hydration, Sweat and Cramping with Precision Hydration’s Andy Blow – Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast 221
- Race nutrition and hydration – current best practices with Andy Blow | EP#293 That Triathlon Show
- Hydration in endurance sports: a Q&A with Andy Blow | EP#191
Resources from Precision Hydration and Fuel
- The Fuel & Hydration planner – we’ve launched a new planner that helps athletes understand how much carbohydrate, fluid and sodium they should be aiming to consume during training and races. The planner provides personalized recommendations for whatever they’re training for.
- Book a free 20-minute hydration and fuelling strategy video consultation – athletes can book a free one-to-one video call with a member of our Athlete Support Team to ask any questions they might have about refining their fuelling plan.
Further Reading from Precision Hydration and Fuel
How to Hydrate for Running
- Hypotonic, isotonic or hypertonic drinks – The key differences
- Why sodium is crucial to athletes performing at their best
- How to START hydrated
- Are you a salty sweater?
- How to measure your sweat rate
- Why do athletes suffer from cramp?
- How much carbohydrate do athletes need per hour?
- Which energy products are right for you?
- How to train your gut