Today, we’re chatting with Stephanie Small about Running to Lose Weight. Steph is a Registered Dietician who specializes in helping recreational and competitive athletes. In this episode, we discuss the role of running in fat loss, how to avoid gaining weight if you’re training a lot and how to modify your diet to allow you to lose body fat without compromising your training.
This was a fascinating interview with lots of practical tips and answers to questions that I hear all the time. Stick around until the very end as Steph answered a couple of follow-up questions by email that I’ve recorded and added to the end of the episode.
Subscribe to The Adaptive Zone Podcast…
Running to Lose Weight
- 00:00:00 Introduction
- 00:08:22 What is the difference between “weight” and “body composition”?
- 00:09:27 Can running help with fat loss?
- 00:19:33 How much carbohydrate do I need for a run?
- 00:20:55 If I’m training for a race, can I also shed a few pounds at the same time?
- 00:27:48 How does Weight Loss affect Hormones?
- 00:31:52 How do I avoid losing muscle if I’m running to lose weight?
- 00:41:23 Can I use protein shakes to help?
- 00:51:15 How do I measure fat loss?
Cool Stuff Mentioned in the Show
- Fuelling your Training: Understanding glycogen metabolism with Bob Murray PhD
- Nutrition for Endurance Athletes | E12 with Harrison Blizzard, Registered Dietician
- Steph’s Paper: Impact of Dietary Carbohydrate Restriction versus Energy Restriction on Exogenous Carbohydrate Oxidation during Aerobic Exercise (Small 2021)
- Steph’s Blogs: The Thyroid 101 | Sports Nutrition for the Recreational Athlete